Art and Design
“Overall aims for the art curriculum are defined as follows:
- To develop exploratory inventive thought and action, and the ability to innovate, initiate, discriminate and make effective personal responses;
- To develop visual and tactile sensitivity, and powers of observation, together with awareness of colour, form and space in the environment, and the made world;
- To develop understanding of a variety of media and processes in order to record, communicate and express ideas and feelings in many different ways;
- To develop non-verbal means of organising ideas, and seeing relationships which supplement and reinforce verbal learning;
- To develop understanding of modes of thought, expression and communication through visual and tactile means;
- To develop imagination, feeling and sensibility”
(Art 4-11 Suffolk County Council)
The curriculum plan comprises 6 half-termly units of work for each year group from Year 1 to Year 6. The units are based on the areas of experience of Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Collage, Textiles, and 3D. “Art 4-11” provides a detailed account of the nature of each of these disciplines and should be referenced in developing understanding of materials and processes involved.
At St Giles' CE Primary this involves all year groups working on the same discipline (e.g. painting) at the same time. This would mean Yr1 to Yr6 all delivering the painting units of work in the same half term.
|Autumn 1||Autumn 2||Spring 1||Spring 2||Summer 1||Summer 2|
|Drawing||Painting||Print Making||Collage||Textiles||3D Sculpture|